Saturday, April 16, 2011

Life in Kabul...


So it's been more or less a month since I've arrived. I feel quite settled into my role as well as life in Kabul.  Thought I'd give a brief snapshot of events that have happened... some more exciting than others.... and other interesting facts about Kabul... 
Oh, I trimmed my beard - the good news is according to the local guys here I still look like an Afghan!  Flying under the radar and lookin' like a local!

1 - Local shops have pretty much anything and everything you need in terms of shampoo, soap, toothpaste, pirated DVD's and all manner of breast-enlargement creams available.  There are other creams too, geared more towards the ego of male endowment or in some cases lack there of.... anyways... moving on....

2 - Afghan men are into body building!  It's common to see a shop with a full aisle dedicated to protein/creatine/thermogenic replacement supplements...  Apparently on the US Military or ISAF bases this is a staple of every good soldiers breakfast.  Naturally, many of these products on there way to a base will 'fall off the backs of the trucks' bounce along the street and conveniently land on a shelf in these shops. Pretty much any truck full of goodies heading to a base ends up 'losing' something along the way.... heck maybe even the whole truck full of Chips A'Hoy Chewy cookies... it all ends up in the shop - we'll see tomorrow what's new!

3 - Still talking about body building - Passing by the 'Kabul Stadium' today, there was a group of Afghan body builders... tanned, oiled up and dressed in there little itsy bitsy's just standing around on the grass.... looked like a Mr Universe competition.... the juxtaposition of it was bizarre as on the other side of the iron fence burka clad women are walking by.... hmmm... I missed my National Geographic picture of the year... this has now happened to me twice... the first time was in Damascus, Syria in a market, a group of ladies dressed in burka's again, this time standing outside of a shop underneath the weirdest collection of lingerie I've ever seen.

4 - I attended my first Afghan wedding the other day.  The son of one of our staff in the finance department.  This was great, lots of food, dancing and just a really good time!  The local staff were so thoughtful, checking on me to make sure I was enjoying myself and entertained - I really think they just wanted me to stop doing head-spins on the tables... (kidding!)   It was definitely the largest collection of tin-foil like shiny suits of varying colours I've ever seen - Hey, if you can walk into a wedding hall wearing a suit like this... well.... respect!  A fun time was had by all!

5 - Visited Skateistan today.  They have a great indoor skaetpark - skated for about 2 hours and left with only one goose-egg size bruise on my shin!  Wow, what an awesome group of volunteers and a great program - watch this video - it's actually quite moving - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkvWSjbQZQ and the website - http://skateistan.org/content/afghanistan
  Real positive programs with positive and tangible results.  If you want to support a program financially in Kabul - give to these guys!  It challenges peoples perspective and is creating a new paradigm.

6 - Had my first eye-exam ever.  I thought I would get my eyes checked as it only costs $10 USD - full prescription and frames is $30 USD.  Found out that my right eye isn't as bad as I thought - or saw.  The interesting/moving part was hearing the story of the Optometrist - how he was trained in Kabul by a foreign doctor (who he has a lot of respect for) and who has really helped the Afghan people.  He continued to talk about the doctor and how we worked for IAM (http://www.iam-afghanistan.org/) and then he said the mans name - and then it hit me... The doctor that the Afghan Optometrist was speaking so respectfully about, his teacher and his friend was one of the 10 who were murdered last year in the massacre in Northern Afghanistan... man, it was a heavy moment, realizing the full circle of that mans efforts, the training he gave to the Optometrist and now me a foreigner in a foreigen land receiving eye care.... I felt humbled and proud to have had my eye's checked by this man.