Monday, April 19, 2010

Far from home...

Over the last few days I've been receiving quite a few emails from friends and family back home.    A collection of birthdays, weddings, house moving, pregnancies, renovations, leaving the country parties.... etc..... While reading these emails and later responding I can't help but feel that I can't express my support in a way that I feel really captures my heart.  What I really want is to be there!  I want to be able to give someone a birthday hug or hand deliver a wedding present.  I would love to offer a helping hand to a friend who is moving  or say 'What do you need, let me help you out!'  I want to look a friend in the eye and say 'Congratulations!'  The reality is that it isn't just about them in these situations, there ends up being this unintentional selfish side to it - What I mean is that it feels really great to do these things for those you love and care about.  I feel great helping out a friend.... we both benefit from it!  As I struggle with these thoughts I'm reminded of all the ways that my friends and family have been able to help and support me as I travelled half way across the world.  Whether through prayers, presents or parties it all meant so much to me.  I also know that they cherished the opportunities to show tangibly their love and support.  Sometimes it's necessary to sit back and just accept the gift.  In life there are times when you get to give and there are times when you get to receive with direct one to one contact.  There are also times when you get to sit in the bleachers and cheer and wave from the distance.  This expression of support doesn't make it any less then the one to one contact..... you just need to shout a little louder to be heard!!!  So..... to all my friends and family.... I'm in the bleachers.... and I'm shouting and cheering at the top of my lungs..... I've even ripped off my shirt and started waving it over my head!!!